[Samba] Encryption

Dan Lenski dlenski at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 12:44:17 MDT 2010

On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 08:23:01 -0800, Jeremy Allison wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 10:01:57AM -0600, Cameron Laird wrote:
>> What are the prospects for "smb transport encryption"?  Where can I
>> learn more?
>
> It's implemented via the UNIX extension mechanism between smbclient and
> smbd for versions of Samba 3.2.x and greater.
>
> Not yet implemented in the Linux CIFSFS client or MacOSX client.

The encryption feature of smbclient seems really great!  But it is too
bad that it is only in smbclient and not in smbmount/mount.cifs.

Is there any technical barrier to implementing it in smbmount?

I used to use sshfs to remotely mount my home directories between
different computers running Linux, but I have switched to Samba for
better performance.  I would like to be able to keep using Samba without
worrying about the relative lack of security.  (I know this isn't really
Samba's fault, but a legacy of its origins.)

Dan Lenski