[Samba] Winbind problem: can't convert sids and gids

Rob Moser Rob.Moser at nau.edu
Wed Jun 23 13:57:06 MDT 2010

I've had the problem with various versions of 3.3.x - most recently
3.3.8 and 3.3.12.  I have an older machine running 3.2.8 which works
fine using essentially an identical smb.conf file.

My smb.conf file also has the idmap entries for each trusted domain,
with non-overlapping id ranges.  I did see the manual mapping option in
wbinfo, but we have a fairly dynamic user base, so manual configuration
didn't seem viable.

Thanks for your help though!  Hopefully someone can tell us both how to
get the automatic mapping working...

     - rob.