[Samba] Persistent connections to Samba in Windows

vtv jim at tibetserver.com
Thu Jun 17 05:42:51 MDT 2010

Hi

I am setting up samba to allow me and my collegues to share files between
us.

The Samba server isn't running as a domain controller or uses LDAP. I use
the local linux accounts and Samba accounts.

The problem i have is getting the shares to be truly persistent. What I mean
is that when I map a network drive, add my user/pass and check the
'reconnect at logon' box, the drive reconnects at startup but I still have
to write the password.

There seems to be a command in net use that saves your credentials,
/savecred, but this does not seem to help.

The problem seems to be a windows problem. To me, it looks like when it
reconnects at logon, Windows wants to use a local account with the same
username that was specified and login with this.

I hope this makes sense and I appreciate any input.