[Samba] Adding Domain User Accounts to Windows 7 Clients (Samba 3.4.8 PDC)

Walton, Bryan K bryan-walton at uiowa.edu
Thu Jun 17 15:54:04 MDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 12:22:25PM -0500, Walton, Bryan K wrote:

> However, I am unable to successfully add domain user accounts to the
> client.  When I attempt this, I receive the following error:
>
> "The user could not be added because the following error has occurred:
>
> The trust relationship between the workstation and the primary domain
> failed."

Hi everybody, thanks for your replies.  I've found the problem, I
believe, and have a work around.  About 15 minutes ago, I stumbled across
this web page:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itpronetworking/thread/7d0bb953-3514-4475-8f00-5f624f5f6b00

As it turns out, a "new feature" of Windows 7 is that you cannot
directly add domain users as local users.  Instead, you must add desired
domain users to local groups, achieving the desired result.  I have
verfied that this works without difficulty.

In the past, I was able to add domain user acocunts as local accounts,
but it appears that Microsoft no longer allows this with Windows 7.

Thanks again,
Bryan