[Samba] root postexec issue on both Samba 3.4.5 and 3.0.28

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Tue Jun 15 16:00:07 MDT 2010

On 06/15/2010 04:50 PM, Andrew Masterson wrote:

> [...]

The postexec script will execute only when the client hangs up the
connection. Hanging up of the connection can be considerably delayed
after a user logs out. This is a client configuration issue - nothing to
do with Samba.

Unfortunately, Windows will close idle connections and then re-open them
when they are needed.  This too is a client behavioral characteristic.
Samba does not of its own volition close connections like that.

> How can I fix this issue?

Make sure that the Windows client hangs up the connection as soon as the
user logs out.  I have no idea how you would do this though - perhaps a
search of the Microsoft knowledge-base may turn up a useful pointer.

Cheers,
John T.