[Samba] Adding Domain User Accounts to Windows 7 Clients (Samba 3.4.8 PDC)

Walton, Bryan K bryan-walton at uiowa.edu
Tue Jun 15 11:22:25 MDT 2010

Hi,

I've searched the logs and google trying to find a fix for my problem
and have so far not succeeded.

I've got a Samba PDC (Debian Lenny), running Samba 3.4.8 from Debian
Backports.  It is using an OpenLdap backend.  We have encountered little
to no problems over the last several years.  And of course, we have to
upgrade to Windows 7 (64-bit), from XP-64. So, here we are.

Following the wiki here: http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Windows7 I have
made the registry changes mentioned on this page.

I can successfully join the Windows 7 client to our Samba PDC.
Furthermore, domain users are able to login, by using the following
syntax: domain\username and password.  Finally, users are able to access
domain shares without difficulty.

However, I am unable to successfully add domain user accounts to the
client.  When I attempt this, I receive the following error:

"The user could not be added because the following error has occurred:

The trust relationship between the workstation and the primary domain
failed."

Can anybody help pinpoint my error?

My samba PDC logs show the following:

Jun 15 12:11:31 nishnabotna smbd[2746]: [2010/06/15 12:11:31,  0]
auth/auth_sam.c:355(check_sam_security)
Jun 15 12:11:31 nishnabotna smbd[2746]:   check_sam_security:
make_server_info_sam() failed with 'NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER'
Jun 15 12:11:32 nishnabotna smbd[2746]: [2010/06/15 12:11:32,  0]
rpc_server/srv_netlog_nt.c:603(_netr_ServerAuthenticate3)
Jun 15 12:11:32 nishnabotna smbd[2746]:   _netr_ServerAuthenticate3:
netlogon_creds_server_check failed. Rejecting auth request from client
CALLENDER machine account CALLENDER$

And perhaps to state the obvious, the user I'm attempting to add does
exist on the network.  By the way, I'm getting this error when trying to
add ANY domain user account to Windows 7 clients.

I would appreciate any input you might offer.

Thanks,
Bryan Walton

--
Bryan K. Walton				 Division of Physiologic Imaging
Systems Administrator		University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics