[Samba] windows 7 unable to join domain

Alberto Moreno portsbsd at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 00:04:28 MDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 6:11 PM,  <tms3 at tms3.com> wrote:

> SNIP
>>
>> I'm currently running Samba3x-3.3.8-0.51 on CentOS 5.5.  I currently have
>> many Windows XP clients associated with the domain and behaving correctly.
>> However, I am unable to join a Windows 7 PC.  I receive "The specified
>> network name is no longer available."
>>
>> I've verified that DNS is configured correctly, and as stated XP machines
>> have no problem joining.
>>
> http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Windows7
>
> There's a reg file that comes with the source code.  Not sure about binary
> packages.
>
> Cheers,
>
> SNIP
> --

Like tms3 told u, we have to make some changes to the register before
we join ms 7 to the domain, I already did and works, no issue.

Another thing I see in your smb.conf:

security = DOMAIN.

In my little knowledge about samba, if u have a PDC it must say:

security = user.

Went u add a BDC it must say:

security = DOMAIN.

"In domain security mode, the Samba server has a machine account
(domain security trust account) and causes all authentication requests
to be passed through to the domain controllers. The Samba server is
made into a domain member server by using the following directives in
smb.conf."

"security = domain"

Last thing, smbldap-tools using the base repo from Centos 5.5 depend
on Samba-3.0.x, u must build your own rpm to work with samba3x.

My two cents.
--
LIving the dream...