[Samba] idmap GID range became full without reason

Andrew Hotlab andrew.hotlab at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 12 18:37:41 MDT 2010

> Is the Mac as PDC, or a member server? What is the PDC?
>
> Idmap is not as well documented as it could be. I am using idmap with
> ldap backend for interdomain trusts, with both samba 3.0.x and samba 3.4.x
> with mixed success. But the behavior you are describing is definitely not
> OK.
>
> In addition to having an idmap section for the trusted domain, I also have
> an idmap section for "alloc" - I would check the smb.conf man page. I
> think the "idmap mydomain" section is supposed to help samba check existing
> idmap uid/gid entries and the "idmap alloc" section is supposed to keep
> track of the next entry to be allocated. It sounds like samba is unable to
> determine the existing idmap uid so creates another one.
>
> Maybe you can use the wbinfo command to manually set uid/gid's and then try
> to comment out the idmap entries in smb.conf to prevent future entries being
> added.

The Mac is the PDC, running Samba 3.0.25b-apple. The member server is
Samba 3.0.8 running on FreeBSD.  I'll never have a second member server.

Sorry, but as I said, I'm a newbie with Samba: I read the man pages and
I did not understand much about your suggestion. I'm guessing you
suggested to write something like the following in my smb.conf?

[global]
idmap backend = tdb
idmap id = 15000-20000
idmap gid = 15000-20000

idmap config MYDOMAIN : backend = nss
idmap config MYDOMAIN: range = 15000-20000

Thank very much for your help and patience! :)

Sincerely

Andrew