[Samba] Wrong results in dir listing with wildcard

Guy Rouillier guyr-ml1 at burntmail.com
Fri Jun 11 21:52:21 MDT 2010

On 6/10/2010 11:50 PM, Günter Kukkukk wrote:
> Am Freitag 11 Juni 2010 01:47:30 schrieb Guy Rouillier:
>> On 6/10/2010 5:01 PM, Tom Reijnders wrote:
>>> Confirmed: (I liked Blake's 7  ;-) )
>>
>> Thanks, Tom, I'll open a bug report.
>>
> does
>               mangled names = no
> in your share section of smb.conf solve your problem?

Gunter, thanks! with that option set, the misbehavior with dir with
wildcards does *not* happen.  So, is this still a bug or is this
intended behavior?  I certainly didn't anticipate it, so from my
perspective it is unexpected behavior.

At the very least, I would expect mangled names = no to be the default
behavior, as it provides the most consist behavior.  Windows long file
names have been around for a very long time, so I don't see why 8.3
support should be the default.  Then if people want mangled names = yes,
they can be informed of unanticipated side effects.  So, make the
expected behavior the default and make the user explicitly ask for
unexpected behavior.

--
Guy Rouillier