[Samba] Microsoft OneNote 2007 painfully slow

Robert LeBlanc robert at leblancnet.us
Tue Jun 8 11:14:32 MDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 9:16 AM, Jeremy Allison <jra at samba.org> wrote:

> Use smbstatus to find out the process id, then use smbcontrol
> to set a specific process to a different debuglevel on the fly.

That is really cool, thanks for sharing! I could not get the debuging to
work with just smb:10, I had to set all the logs to level 10 to get
anything, and then the log kept disappearing. I changed the 10M limit in
smb.conf to 100M and reloaded smbd, but for some reason, the log would still
get wiped and started over again. I can't get a good log, if I watch the
size of the log, it's all over the place, I don't know how to get a good log
file.

I moved the OneNote Notebook to a Windows server and when I launch it, it
would take about 6 seconds to load (OneNote does not have the notebook, I
browse to the share and open it. When I'm done, I right-click the notebook
and close it, otherwise OneNote would open really fast and then sync the
notebook in the background). On the Samba share, it consistently takes 2
minutes and 10 seconds. From some of the logs, it looks like the whole smbd
process is restarted as it gets all the information about my user (SIDs,
groups, etc). I'm still at a loss as to what to do.

Thanks,

Robert LeBlanc
Life Sciences & Undergraduate Education Computer Support
Brigham Young University