[Samba] windows7 <> samba oplock errors

Frank Huttner chackogrill at ymail.com
Tue Jun 8 06:45:39 MDT 2010

Hello,

we struggeled now for several months but we couldn't manage to get this scenario working:

Client: Windows7
Server: Samba 3.3.8. (RHEL 5.5)

connected to Active Directory via Winbind

Something seems to be wrong with the opLocks: as soon as we try to make any Samba share offline available, it fails.

Client error: process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process

Server error: oplock break failed for file ...

As far as I understand this, oplocks are enabled by default on Vista or Win7 clients. On the server we enabled oplocks in smb.conf

oplocks = yes
level2 oplocks = yes
kernel oplocks = no

Does anyone use (Samba-) offline folder on win7 clients without any errors ?

best regards