[Samba] 3.4.0 Samba box w/ NT 4 PDC and Win 95 client

John Lawler lists.samba.org at tgice.com
Sun Jun 6 19:46:21 MDT 2010

Thanks for the reply, Günter.  I should've mentioned that I had run
across similar advice when trying to diagnose Samba problems with Win95
login past version 3.0.x, but the reason this doesn't apply to me is
that I don't have the users defined in native Unix at all -- they're all
only defined on the NT 4 PDC (I have "security = domain"), so I don't
think the pdbedit -Lw / smbpasswd advice applies to me (I run pdbedit
anyway, and confirmed th was only an entry for "nobody").

So I don't think this has anything to do with how Samba is storing a
password, it must have to do with how it's sending the authentication
attempt through to the NT server which is different from how it used to
in 3.0.x.  My goal is to determine whether there's a straightforward way
(hopefully through smb.conf) that I can regain this old behavior for the
sake of a couple of Win95 clients.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.