[Samba] wins or windbind problem? - help please

Pablo Chamorro C. pchamorro at ingeominas.gov.co
Sat Jun 5 08:39:21 MDT 2010

I have four domains in my LAN. I set up trust relationships for the
domains, having each PDC working as wins server for each domain but I hd
not set up winbind. I have samba3-3.3.12 + ldap (openldap 2.4.21) as users
backend.

I mean, I have wins support = yes for each PDC, and I can access to the
shared folders of each PDC from any windows computer from my LAN.

The problem is accessing to windows PCs from different domains. I mean,
from pc1-domain1 I can't list the shares of pc2-domain2 (access denied),
and when I try to connect to \\pc2-domain2\share the error message is:

\\pc2-domain2 is not accesible
There are currently no logon servers to service the request logon.

Previously I shared the 'share' folder in pc2-domain2 PC and added
permissions for users from domain1 and domain2 successfully.

Trying from a Linux server, a guest try shows:

[user]$ smbclient //pc2-domain2/share
Password:
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[SMINERO] OS=[Windows Server 2003 R2 3790 Service Pack 2]
Server=[Windows Server 2003 R2 5.2]
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

Trying using a user account from domain2:

[user]$ smbclient //pc2-domain2/share -U domain2/user

Password: session setup failed: NT_STATUS_NO_LOGON_SERVERS

The domain2 PDC log is:

"domain_client_validate: Domain password server not available.
[2010/06/05 08:43:40,  5] auth/auth.c:check_ntlm_password(272)
   check_ntlm_password: winbind authentication for user [xxxxx] FAILED
with error NT_STATUS_NO_LOGON_SERVERS

[2010/06/05 08:43:40,  2] auth/auth.c:check_ntlm_password(318)
   check_ntlm_password:  Authentication for user [xxxxxx] -> [xxxxx]
FAILED with error NT_STATUS_NO_LOGON_SERVERS".

I tried adding PDC data from the wins.dat file from PDC2 to the wins.file
from PDC1 (and in the other way) but it didn't work. I have this:

"PDC2#00" 1275960126 172.25.1.24 66R
"PDC2#03" 1275960126 172.25.1.24 66R
"PDC2#20" 1275960126 172.25.1.24 66R
"PDC1#00" 1276005993 172.25.1.8 66R
"PDC1#03" 1276005993 172.25.1.8 66R
"PDC1#20" 1276005993 172.25.1.8 66R

Please, here my questions:

1. Could you please give me an advice for my problem?

2. Should I setup only an only wins server?  The one from samba4wins?
Where? In one of the PDCs or in other server?

Thank you,

Pablo Chamorro

---
Ext. 8705

Tel: +57 (2) 7302593/7320752/7323272 - Fax: +57 (2) 7325014
Calle 27 N° 9 ESTE - 25, Barrio La Carolina - Pasto

Este mensaje de correo electrónico fue analizado por el antivirus institucional Mcafee y su contenido está dirigido para
el uso exclusivo de los destinatarios direccionados y puede contener información que es privilegiada, confidencial y exime de divulgación
bajo Ley Aplicable. Si usted no es un destinatario previsto o el
agente responsable de entregar este email al destinatario (s)
previsto, se le notifica por este medio que cualquier uso, difusión,
distribución o copia de esta comunicación está prohibida y puede
terminantemente ser ilegal. Si usted recibió este email por error,
notifique por favor al remitente inmediatamente contestando a este
email o por teléfono y borre el email que se le envió por error.

This electronic mail message was scanned by the Mcafee anti-virus and its contents are
intended only for
the use of the addressed recipient(s) and may contain information that
is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under
applicable law. If you are not an intended recipient, or the agent
responsible for dlivering this email to the intended recipient(s), you
are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or
copying of this communication is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful. If you received this email in error, please notify the
sender immediately by replying to this email or by telephone and
delete the email sent in error.