[Samba] Unable to solve the problem in setting up PDC for network

tms3 at tms3.com tms3 at tms3.com
Wed Jun 2 10:47:54 MDT 2010

Shouting is rude.

> server# testparm /usr/local/etc/smb.conf
> Load smb config files from /usr/local/etc/smb.conf
> Processing section "[homes]"
> Processing section "[netlogon]"
> Processing section "[Profiles]"
> Processing section "[printers]"
> Processing section "[tmp]"
> Processing section "[public]"
> Loaded services file OK.
> Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_PDC
> Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions
>
> [global]
> workgroup = INET
> netbios name = INET
> server string = Server
> log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
> max log size = 50
> add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd %u

For starters, on FreeBSD the command is /usr/sbin/adduser.  Useradd is
soooo System V.

> delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel %u
> add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g
> delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel %g
> delete user from group script = /usr/sbin/deluser %u %g
> add machine script = /usr/sbin/adduser -n -g machines -c Machine -d
> /dev/null -s /bin/false %u

It's /usr/bin/false on FreeBSD.  You should know most default smb.conf
settings assume some flavor on Linux.

> logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U
> domain logons = Yes
> os level = 65
> domain master = Yes
> dns proxy = No
> wins support = Yes
> winbind trusted domains only = Yes
>
> [homes]
> comment = Home Directories
> read only = No
> browseable = No
>
> [netlogon]
> comment = Network Logon Service
> path = /usr/local/samba/lib/netlogon
> guest ok = Yes
> share modes = No
>
> [Profiles]
> path = /usr/local/samba/profiles
> guest ok = Yes
> browseable = No

Did you install from ports?  These directories are not created by
installing from ports.  Did you create them and set the perms?

> [
SNIP

Did you create an administrator account and map it to root?  Or at
least do smbpasswd -a root?

Are you adding a machine to the domain?  If you're not using ldap with
FreeBSD this is somewhat tricky, especially if you have incorrect
paths in smb.conf, which you do.  Check this:

"There are three ways to create Machine Trust Accounts:
  Manual creation from the UNIX/Linux command line. Here, both the
Samba and  corresponding UNIX account are created by hand.
   Using the MS Windows NT4 Server Manager, either from an NT4 domain
member  server or using the Nexus toolkit available from the Microsoft
Web site.  This tool can be run from any MS Windows machine as long as
the user is  logged on as the administrator account.
   “On-the-fly” creation. The Samba Machine Trust Account is
automatically  created by Samba at the time the client is joined to
the domain.  (For security, this is the recommended method.) The
corresponding UNIX  account may be created automatically or manually.
Neither MS Windows NT4/200x/XP Professional, nor Samba, provide any
method for enforcing the method of machine trust account creation.
This is a matter of the administrator's choice...(manual creation of
machine accounts on FreeBSD uses chpass thusly:)

On *BSD systems, this can be done using the chpass utility:

root# chpass -a \
'machine_name$:*:101:100::0:0:Windows
machine_name:/dev/null:/sbin/nologin'"

<http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/domain-member.html#machine-trust-accounts>