[Samba] mounting as cifs not working in Debian, works in Windows though

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 12:26:10 MDT 2010

On 30/07/10 05:02 AM, Moray Henderson wrote:
> H.S. [mailto:hs.samix at gmail.com] wrote:
>> I have a Debian machine running Unstable acting as a samba server. The
>> server was installed a few days ago after a reinstall of the OS. The
>> older installation's samba configs were backed up and restored after
>> installation.
>>
>> The Samba shares are accessible if I access them from a Windows 7
>> client. The shares, however, cannot be accessed from a Debian client
>> (newly installed amd64 Testing). The error I get from the Debian client
>> <SNIP>
>> What am I missing here?
>
> Things to check:
>
>    Rather than mounting, can you use smbclient to access the share?
>    Do you see any better errors in the logs of either client or server?
>    Is client running SELinux or equivalent?

I can browse the shares via dolphin in KDE. I can use smbclient and it
appears to work:
$ smbclient -L //192.168.0.8  -U hs
Enter hs's password:
Domain=[SMBWG] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.8]

         Sharename       Type      Comment
         ---------       ----      -------
         print$          Disk      Printer Drivers
         Pictures        Disk      Pictures Repository
         IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (red server)
         hs              Disk      Home Directories
Domain=[SMBWG] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.8]

         Server               Comment
         RED                 red server

         Workgroup           Master
         SMBWG               red

No, there is no selinux running on samba server. The server's log also
do not show anything abnormal. I get info regarding the smbclient stuff,
but no info regarding the error 13 that cifs mounting is giving me.

Thanks.

ever having been read.