[Samba] Need suggestion for domain controller

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 07:45:41 MDT 2010

>     I wish to establish domain controller based on Centos 5.x.I am
> considering below setups.
>
> 1) Samba PDC
> 2) OpenLDAP
> 3) Combination of Samba PDC + LDAP
>
>     I am confused to select one among above.Can anyone please suggest me?

All are valid. I mean when setting up a samba domain with open ldap
you should have at least 1 machine that is a PDC and at least 1
machine that has openldap on it. Unless this is a home install I
believe you should have at least 2 of each. The choice of how to
combine these services is up to the user. For my department (of less
than 50 users but 30TB of raid on a 100% gigabit network) I have 3 DCs
and 3 openldap servers. At the moment they are PDC + Openldap. Also
since I have no user shares on the domain controllers (all data is on
dual / quad core domain member servers) I have these as guests under a
vps (openvz or lxc).

John