[Samba] [Ubuntu 10.04] Share not visible from XP?

Gilles gilles.ganault at free.fr
Thu Jul 29 03:41:47 MDT 2010

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 11:30:20 +0200, Marcello Romani
<mromani at ottotecnica.com> wrote:
>Yes, it seems to care only about the process name it's been given, smbd
>in this case. I havent studied upstart so it might also be possible that
>somewhere in its configuration it's specified that smbd goes along with
>nmbd. But that's just useless speculation...
>
>Tha strange thing is, on my Ubuntu 9.10 desktop machine I have
>/etc/init.d/samba
>Go figure...

As to why whoever is in charge (if any...) of the Samba packages for
Ubuntu decide it was a good idea to do this...

Updating the official documentation on the Ubuntu site should be a
requirement when making any such change.

Thanks a lot for your help.