[Samba] Does anybody use idmap_adex?

Nico De Ranter nico at sonycom.com
Thu Jul 29 01:09:20 MDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-07-28 at 17:48 +0200, Michael Adam wrote:
> Hi Nico,
>
> Nico De Ranter wrote:
> >
> > Actually I was just about to start using it. Guess I shouldn't?
> >
> > I'm looking for a solution to integrate an existing linux environment
> > into a Windows AD environment.  I already added all rc2307 info on the
> > AD server.  Now I need a way for the linux systems to fetch the
> > username, uid, gif, shell and homedir from AD.  Using LDAP directly is
> > not an option as I can't do anonymous binds so that would require a
> > hardcoded AD user and password on all systems (correct me if I'm wrong)
> > According to the man pages it looks like idmap_adex will do exactly what
> > I want. However I haven't been able to get it to work.
> >
> > Will idmap_adex disappear (if so, I won't invest anymore time in it)?
> > Is there another way I can do this?
>
> The older "ad" idmap and nss backend is there.
> (man idmap_ad)
> This is also maintained.
> I guess this would also suit your needs.

Judging by the man page and the comments I found on-line this will only
do uid/gid. I need to retrieve the shell and homedirectory from AD too.

Nico

--
With kind regards

Nico De Ranter
Senior System Administrator
Techsoft Centre

Technology and Software Centre Europe
The Corporate Village - Da Vincilaan 7-D1 - B-1935 Zaventem - Belgium

Phone:    +32 (0)2 700 8641
Fax:          +32 (0)2 700 8622
E-mail:    nico.deranter at eu.sony.com

A division of Sony Europe (Belgium) N.V.
VAT BE 0413.825.160 - RPR Brussels
Fortis - BIC GEBABEBB - IBAN BE41293037680010

The information contained in this message or any of its attachments may be confidential and is intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s).  Any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other dissemination or use of this communication is strictly prohibited without the express permission of the sender.  The views expressed in this email are those of the individual and not necessarily those of Sony or Sony affiliated companies.  Sony email is for business use only.

This email and any response may be monitored by Sony to be in compliance with Sony's global policies and standards