[Samba] [Ubuntu 10.04] Share not visible from XP?

Gilles gilles.ganault at free.fr
Wed Jul 28 10:05:05 MDT 2010

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 17:44:49 +0200, Nico De Ranter <nico at sonycom.com>
wrote:
>I believe testparm will skip any attribute with default values.

Thanks for the tip. That's not the cause of the issue then :-/

At this point, I can finally get XP to show shared folders if I first
try to connect to them blindly through Run > "\\srv\share".

There were a few things I noticed along the way:

- "restart smbd" works, but "restart nmbd" doesn't. OTOH,
"/etc/init.d/smbd restart" works... and "/etc/init.d/nmbd restart" as
well. Go figure

- apparently, we must remove package "libpam-smbpass", and install
"smbfs" and "winbind"

- /etc/nsswitch.conf requires adding "wins" to "hosts"

- I added the following to a share, with no idea if they're really
needed:
[share]
[...]
available = yes