[Samba] [Ubuntu 10.04] Share not visible from XP?

Gilles gilles.ganault at free.fr
Wed Jul 28 09:38:19 MDT 2010

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 17:03:43 +0200, Marcello Romani
<mromani at ottotecnica.com> wrote:
>My servers are pure debian, so no I don't know of Ubuntu specific tweaks.
>I'd try to enable wins in samba and raise its os level (though it should
>already be higher than xp), but it could also be that xp refuses to
>revert to netbios name resolution (i.e. broadcast). I've seen this
>behaviour once, but can't remember right now what it was exactly...

Thanks everyone for the help, in the mailing list and through e-mail,

To make sure I get the basic covered... is there a reason why
"testparm -s" skips some lines from smb.conf?

==================
# cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP

[homes]
guest ok = no
read only = no
==================
# testparm -s
rlimit_max: rlimit_max (1024) below minimum Windows limit (16384)
Processing section "[homes]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
[global]

[homes]
        read only = No

>P.S.: try to respond to the list, or you'll lose potential help :)

It's because e-mail is immediate, while posts show in Gmane's NTTP
servers after a good 15mn wait :-)