[Samba] Files missing (not hidden)

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 14:40:15 MDT 2010

I have run into this with various Office documents.

When you save an Excel file it will delete the file and rewrite a brand
new file with the same name.    If you don't have sufficient permisisons
to write the file AND set various attibrutes  the save process will
fail.    You will probably see this with MS PowerPoint as well-
although it only does the delete/fullwrite on every 5th save or so.

MS Office applications like to change the permissions of a file when
saving/creating files.  So even if you can create a file in the
directory you may still have this problem.

You probably do not have this problem with notepad.

I am running Samba on Solaris 10, with ZFS, which supports a variety of
ACL's.    In addition to requiring read/write privledges on the
directory, users also need permissions to write attributes.

You may need to use the "getfacl" command to compare permissions on
documents before and after saving them.  (or seeing the permissions in
the Windows file explorer.)   You may need to experiment with setting
the permissions on the parent directory.    Or with your acl parameters
in smb.conf