[Samba] Multiple Workgroups and Subnets

Tawanda Kavayi tawanda at earth.co.zw
Tue Jul 27 13:16:12 MDT 2010

Hi,

I am configuring a network with two subnets with a different workgroup
in each subnet. My aim is to have users being able to view and access
shares on both workgroups. I have a Samba server in each
subnet/workgroup, configured as both the domain and local master for
each workgroup. Each server is also the WINS server for its subnet. The
setup is like this:

Subnet1:
network - 192.168.10.0/24
server IP - 192.168.10.254
workgroup - Group1

Subnet2:
network - 192.168.20.0/24
server IP - 192.168.20.254
workgroup - Group2

The two servers are configured identically, except for the information
above, so the smb.conf for the Group1 server looks like this:

[global]
        workgroup = GROUP1
        netbios name = GROUP1_SRV
        domain master = yes
        local master = yes
        preferred master = yes
        os level = 65
        smb ports = 139
        dns proxy = no
        wins support = yes
        name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast host
        interfaces = lo eth0 192.168.10.254/24 127.0.0.1/8
        bind interfaces only = yes
        remote announce = 192.168.20.254/GROUP1
        remote browse sync = 192.168.20.254
        hosts allow = 127. 192.168.10. 192.168.20.

The problem is that a machine in Group1 can see all the machines in it's
workgoup, plus the network for Group2 appears in network neighborhood,
but the machines and shares in Group2 do not.

To troubleshoot, I ran smbtree with debug level 5. What I picked out
from all the output was:

Cannot find master browser for workgroup GROUP2

How can I resolve this?

Tawanda