[Samba] wbinfo -u and -g work, wbinfo -s works only for some users

Danilo Godec danilo.godec at agenda.si
Mon Jul 26 07:01:55 MDT 2010

Got a problem after upgrading Samba from 3.0 to 3.5 - have a bunch of
users and groups in LDAP and things work for the most part.

However, when people try to change permissions from within Windows, some
usernames or groupnames are shown properly, but other are not - they see
the SID.

Following up I noticed, that I can get a list of all users with 'wbinfo
-u' and that I can get a SID for every user with 'wbinfo -n $USER'.

However, for about 70% of all SIDs listed a 'reverse lookup' with 'wbinf
-s $SID' doesn't work:

> S-1-5-21-239950015-4237961228-1280988766-3060 Could not lookup sid
> S-1-5-21-239950015-4237961228-1280988766-3060

It works for some and it turns out that this relates to what usernames
are visible in Windows...

I checked my LDAP and compared some of the users that work to some of
those that don't, but there are no apparent differences.

Any ideas?

  Regards, Danilo

--
Danilo Godec, sistemska podpora / system administration

Predlog! Obiscite prenovljeno spletno stran www.agenda.si

ODPRTA KODA IN LINUX
STORITVE : POSLOVNE RESITVE : UPRAVLJANJE IT : INFRASTRUKTURA IT : IZOBRAZEVANJE : PROGRAMSKA OPREMA

Visit our updated web page at www.agenda.si

OPEN SOURCE AND LINUX
SERVICES : BUSINESS SOLUTIONS : IT MANAGEMENT : IT INFRASTRUCTURE : TRAINING : SOFTWARE