[Samba] samba users can't be seen from client mashine

murat can tuna muratcantuna at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 22 09:02:53 MDT 2010

Hi all,

I have an ubuntu server 9.10 and a fedora. I have configured smb.confs such that fedora or any other computer is gonna reach /home of ubuntu server.

But the problem is i can not see samba users that i have created on ubuntu I mean fedora can not find or reach or resolve samba users that I have created on ubuntu but only uid numbers.

I have mounted /home directory of ubuntu from fedora without any problem I can ping ubuntu or vice versa even this command works "smbclient -L <ipofubuntu> -Umuratcantuna"
or I can logon as "smbclient //<ipofubuntu>/username" but the permissions that I have made don't work, every user can write to every directory even if it doesn't belong them.

Here is my two smb.conf files, do you have any idea what is the reason?

fedora:
rlimit_max: rlimit_max (1024) below minimum Windows limit (16384)
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[netlogon]"
Processing section "[Profiles]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_BDC

[global]
        server string = Samba Server Version %v
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd "%u" -n -g users
        delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel "%u"
        add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd "%g"
        delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel "%g"
        delete user from group script = /usr/sbin/userdel "%u" "%g"
        add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -n -c "Workstation (%u)" -M -d /nohome -s /bin/false "%u"
        logon path = \\%L\%u
        domain logons = Yes
        domain master = No
        cups options = raw

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        path = /mnt/home3
        read only = No
        create mask = 0600
        directory mask = 0700
        browseable = No
        browsable = No

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No
        browsable = No

[netlogon]
        comment = Network Logon Service
        path = /mnt/home3
        guest ok = Yes

[Profiles]
        path = /mnt/home3
        guest ok = Yes
        browseable = No
        browsable = No

ubuntu:
rlimit_max: rlimit_max (1024) below minimum Windows limit (16384)
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[netlogon]"
Processing section "[profiles]"
Processing section "[print$]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_PDC

[global]
        server string = parkplatz
        interfaces = 127.0.0.0/8, eth0
        bind interfaces only = Yes
        map to guest = Bad User
        syslog = 0
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 1000
        add user script = /usr/sbin/adduser --quiet --disabled-password --gecos "" %u
        add group script = /usr/sbin/addgroup --force-badname %g
        add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -g machines -c "%u machine account" -d /var/lib/samba -s /bin/false %u
        logon path = \\%N\%U##  logon path = /home/%u
        logon drive = H:
        domain logons = Yes
        usershare allow guests = Yes
        idmap uid = 1000-200000