[Samba] pam_smbpass & passwd seg fault

Michael McGrew mmcgrew1 at mail.csuchico.edu
Mon Jul 19 23:18:40 MDT 2010

I'm trying to sync the local unix account passwords to the samba
smbpass db using pam. When i run passwd, after it's done it seg faults
and produces a core dump. The odd thing is that it works, the users
local unix password gets synced to the smbpass db, but it seg faults.
Below are my relevant config files. Is this a bug or am I doing
something wrong?

/usr/local/etc/smb.conf

security = user
passdb backend = smbpasswd

cat /etc/pam.d/passwd
#
# $FreeBSD: src/etc/pam.d/passwd,v 1.3.36.1 2010/02/10 00:26:20 kensmith Exp $
#
# PAM configuration for the "passwd" service
#

# passwd(1) does not use the auth, account or session services.

# password
#password       requisite       pam_passwdqc.so         enforce=users
password        required        pam_unix.so             no_warn
try_first_pass nullok
password        optional        /usr/local/lib/pam_smbpass.so
try_first_pass smbconf=/usr/local/etc/smb.conf

[root at localhost ~]# passwd
Changing local password for root
New Password:
Retype New Password:
Segmentation fault: 11 (core dumped)

I have the latest port version of samba, samba34-3.4.8. The core does
not give much info here is a snippet of the end of the trace. Here is
a link to the end of the truss trace of the process.
http://mmcgrew.net/out

#636 0x792f6e69622f7273 in ?? ()
#637 0x0064777373617070 in ?? ()
#638 0x247c8d48002454ff in ?? ()
#639 0x01a1c0c748006a10 in ?? ()
#640 0x66fdebf4050f0000 in ?? ()
#641 0x9066669066669066 in ?? ()
#642 0x00007fffffffec18 in ?? ()
#643 0x0000000000000001 in ?? ()
#644 0x00007fffffffec28 in ?? ()
#645 0x0000000000000010 in ?? ()
Cannot access memory at address 0x800000000000

/var/log/messages
Jul 19 10:11:49 kernel: Jul 19 10:11:49 kernel: pid 58460 (passwd),
uid 0: exited on signal 11