[Samba] Samba + Winbind + Windows 2003 AD

Michael Lyon mjlyon at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 10:22:15 MDT 2010

In all honesty, this is my first time using a binary samba package (I am a
native slackware user that converted to Fedora simply because it was easier
from start-to-finish FWIW)

[]# smbd -V
Version 3.4.7-58.fc12

Here's my smb.conf global section:

[global]
       workgroup = WORKGROUPNAME
       realm = ad.university.edu
       server string = Samba Server Version %v
       netbios name = vm-srvname
       security = ADS
       password server = *
       passdb backend = tdbsam
       admin users = @"WORKGROUPNAME+Domain Admins"
       log level = 2
       log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
       max log size = 5000
       interfaces = eth0 lo
       socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=524288
SO_SNDBUF=524288
       load printers = No
       #printing =
       printcap name = /etc/printcap
       client use spnego = yes
       client ntlmv2 auth = yes
       winbind use default domain = yes
       winbind separator = +
       winbind nested groups = Yes
       winbind enum users = yes
       winbind enum groups = yes
       winbind nss info = rfc2307
       allow trusted domains = yes
       idmap uid = 10000-99999
       idmap gid = 10000-99999
       #idmap backend = ad
       idmap domains = WORKGROUPNAME
       idmap config WORKGROUPNAME:backend = ad
       idmap config WORKGROUPNAME:schema_mode = rfc2307
       idmap config WORKGROUPNAME:range = 1000-75999
       #template shell = /bin/bash
       #template homedir = /home/share
       #server signing = enabled
       ;dead time = 15