[Samba] "Close_remove_share_mode: Could not get share mode lock for file..."

Dorrian, William M Contractor ACE-IT@SAJ William.M.Dorrian at usace.army.mil
Tue Jul 13 08:56:01 MDT 2010

Hey folks...

I'm using the Redhat Samba package (samba-3.0.33-3.15.el5_4.1) and I'm having
a problem with one specific user. When she opens a project for her program,
there are several shape files which need to open. Unfortunately, performance
is EXTREMELY slow for her; everyone else who accesses the project can open it
up quickly and normally.

A tail of /var/log/samba/<IP address>.log shows several of these errors:

close_remove_share_mode: Could not get share mode lock for file...

Can this be resolved by deleting a .tdb file somewhere? She has permissions
to said files.

Bill Dorrian
Unix/Linux Systems Support
(904) 232-2742

"Give a man a fish and you've freed him up for the day to write a poem,
compose a song, or howl at the Gods. Teach a man to fish and you've condemned
him to a lifetime as a fisherman."

-Rodney Anonymous