[Samba] Problem mapping Samba shares in Windows

Indexer indexer at internode.on.net
Tue Jul 13 05:52:11 MDT 2010

On 13/07/2010, at 6:55 PM, Informatica wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In our company we are currently running a Samba server and Windows XP clients.
> At the moment we are having problems with mapping Samba shares in Windows.
>
> Shares are being mapped through a windows startup script, which executes net use (with the option persistent:no) command.
> For most users this works most of the time, nevertheless it often fails, the exect reason for this isn't clear yet.
>
> When this happens, the samba server prompts for username and password on executing the mapping script again (after logging on).
> This should not be nessecary since the user already is already logged on at that moment.
>
> After rebooting serveral times without making any changes, the script does work and all drives are mapped correctly.
>
> What could be the cause of this problem?

Can you post your smb.conf, as this could be many issues. Also, could you post your samba logs? i find this logging config puts all the data nicely into one file (as it could be client or server side issues)

      log level = 1
      log file = /var/log/samba/samba.log
      max log size = 50
      syslog = 0

Make sure you touch the file first and set it as writable.

William