[Samba] tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME

murat can tuna muratcantuna at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 6 05:11:10 MDT 2010

Hi all,

I have deleted and reinstalled samba 3.4.0 and then I got a failure at starting samba .I guess that was because of lacking of smb.conf ( I have deleted it manually and it didn't install it back)
And I have decided to install samba4 which gave me also the same failure so I have again installed samba 3.4.0 and I found out an smb.conf file from /usr/share/doc/samba-doc/examples/smb.conf.default.gz
then I copied it into /etc/samba afterwards I didn't get the same failure but whenever I try  smbclient -L localhost -U% I get the following error

Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 4.0.0alpha9-GIT-27087e6]
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME

I guess "Samba 4.0.0alpha9-GIT-27087e6" explains there are still some samba4 files that effects the system but I have deleted it. Can you please help me?

Thanks in Advance

Murat Can Tuna