[Samba] Samba4 and DNS

Alex Waite awaite at mcw.edu
Wed Jul 7 12:59:29 MDT 2010

Hey Everyone,
     I've been reading through the Samba4 docs, but I am a bit confused,
so please forgive me if I have missed anything obvious.
     I am trying to setup Samba4 as a Domain Controller for our
department.  We do not control our DNS; that is done through campus IT.
  All of our workstations (soon to be members of the domain) already
have entries in campus DNS.  If I were to submit the contents of the
/usr/local/samba/private/dns/ folder (generated by Samba4's provision
step) to Campus IT, would that work?  Would I be missing out on anything
by not running my own DNS server?
     I've read about the dynamic changes made to DNS by Samba4, but I
don't know if I need that if my clients already would have entries in DNS.
     Thank you for your time; I appreciate it.

---Alex