[Samba] Preserve create/modify dates in Samba 3.4.7

Derek Lewis dlewis at mtu.edu
Sun Jul 11 03:47:59 MDT 2010

I have configured Samba 3.4.7 with extended attributes enabled to preserve
file create/modify dates.

In the [global] section of smb.conf:

ea support =yes

store dos attributes =yes

map archive = no

map readonly =no

The map hidden and map system are ignored when I check with testparm.

In the share section I have:

create mask =0771

directory mask =0771

I also checked the share directory and applied chmod 771 to match the
directory permissions to Samba settings and allow the minimal permissions
for the attributes mapping.

I went ahead and tried to map a network drive, and successfully copied a
file over to samba, though the create date is set to the modified date on
the copy.

When I check the extended attributes of the file I copied over with:

sudo getfattr -d -encoding=text [share directory]

I see one attribute: user.DOSATTRIB

For my /etc/fstab, I have set the following options set for a ext4
filesystem: auto,relatime,errors=remount-ro,user_xattr

Is there a way to check the contents of user.DOSATTRIB?

I am not seeing any obvious error messages in the samba log file, do I need
to patch the Ubuntu 10.04 kernel or switch to Samba 3.4.7 to store file
create/modify information?

Derek