[Samba] Another WINS Question/Issue

Nick Couchman Nick.Couchman at seakr.com
Fri Jul 9 11:27:12 MDT 2010

As previously posted, I've migrated my WINS server over to Samba.  I've run into one issue, and have one question, about WINS functionality:

- The default expiration time for WINS entries is 6 days.  For my client systems, this isn't a problem, as most of them reboot, renew DHCP leases, etc., often enough that they are forced to send WINS updates every day or so.  However, I found this morning, 6 days after implementing my Samba WINS server, that my NT4 Domain Controllers do not send updates every 6 days, or at least not in a way that forces Samba to keep the WINS entries in the database.  So, is there something I should tweak, either on the Samba side or the NT4 side, that will allow this to work properly?  I don't plan on having NT4 around all that much longer, as I'm going to migrate domain control to Samba, but for the time being, I'd like to avoid a repeat.

- The Samba man page for smb.conf has always advised not to operate more than one Samba WINS server on your network (wins support = yes).  However, I found the remote browse sync option, which looks to be capable of doing some basic browse list synchronization across subnets, and was wondering if this would allow me to safely operate more than one WINS server on my network.  Obviously the WINS servers would be on different subnets, and I also understand perfectly that this does not provide full WINS database replication the way that NT4/2000/2003/2008 can provide.  However, in situations where I may have a firewall or WAN link between the two sites, is it safe and/or useful to use this option and point the WINS servers at each other?

Thanks, in advance, for any insight!

-Nick

--------
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or you are not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient, please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR) Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are strictly prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and delete the message from your mailbox.  Information contained in this message that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor attributable to SEAKR.