[Samba] smbcquotas tells me that "quotas are not enabled"

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Thu Jul 8 19:43:21 MDT 2010

Luke Hamilton put forth on 7/8/2010 7:31 PM:
> I have a setup of Ubuntu 8.04 running Samba 3.0.28a.  Connected to our network I
> have a buffalo linkstation acting as Network Attached Storage (NAS), which I
> have successfully mounted on the local file system.
>
> Using smbcquotas I believe I can set up a quota for each user on the NAS.  To
> get started, I run the command:
> smbcquotas //192.168.1.4/share -S FSQFLAGS:QUOTA_ENABLED -A /etc/.credentials

Is 192.168.1.4 the Buffalo NAS?  If so...

> But I get the error:
> Quotas are not enabled on this share.
> Failed to open \$Extend\$Quota:$Q:$INDEX_ALLOCATION  NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED.

Does the Buffalo support NTFS5 and is quota capability enabled on the Buffalo
SMB server?

> I'm trying to figure out why my command fails.  Shouldn't that enable quotas in
> the first place?

Not if the Buffalo NAS isn't already configured to support quotas.  As I
understand it, this command sends a packet to a remote SMB server telling it
how to (re)configure quotas on a given share.  If quota capability isn't
already enabled on the remote SMB server this command will fail.  I think that
is what is happening here.  I'm no expert on this, just making a somewhat
educated guess.

See:  man smbcquotas

--
Stan