[Samba] How to regenerate passdb.tdb

Abe Lau abelau+samba at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 19:05:26 MDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 7:43 AM, Jeremy Allison <jra at samba.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 11:32:32AM +1000, Abe Lau wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I was having problem with the tdbsam backend in which a particular user
> got
> > listed twice with pdbedit.
> > (http://www.mail-archive.com/samba@lists.samba.org/msg109110.html)
> >
> > Without much hope in fixing it, I am planning to re-generating passdb.tdb
> on
> > my PDC by:
> >   (1)exporting tdbsam to smbpasswd backend
> >   (2)delete passdb.tdb
> >   (3)re-import smbpasswd to tdbsam backend
>
> If you do this you lose a lot of the extra
> data that tdbsam stores that smbpasswd does
> not.
>
> Jeremy.

I see.  I remember I read from somewhere that the extra missing data can
probably be re-generated, though it won't be user-specific (I can't find
where I read that, and the list of difference).  With my current samba
acting as a PDC, would there be any critical data that I will be missing
doing this re-import procedure?
Of cos, I probably still need to fix the RID error when I am exporting to
smbpasswd, in which I still don't have much clue.

Abe