[Samba] How to regenerate passdb.tdb

Abe Lau abelau+samba at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 19:32:32 MDT 2010

Hi,
I was having problem with the tdbsam backend in which a particular user got
listed twice with pdbedit.
(http://www.mail-archive.com/samba@lists.samba.org/msg109110.html)

Without much hope in fixing it, I am planning to re-generating passdb.tdb on
my PDC by:
  (1)exporting tdbsam to smbpasswd backend
  (2)delete passdb.tdb
  (3)re-import smbpasswd to tdbsam backend

With the command ` pdbedit -i tdbsam -e smbpasswd`, I got a few errors for
~10 users:
      build_sam_pass: Failing attempt to store user with non-uid based user
RID.
      Importing account for some_user...failed

pdbedit -L -v does not really give me any information on "user RID", so I am
confused how it can be fixed.

Does the procedure make sense, or is there anything I am missing?  Thanks,

Abe