[Samba] Problem After Upgrade - NT_STATUS_FILE_IS_A_DIRECTORY

Leandro Tracchia itmanager at alexanderconsultants.net
Wed Jul 7 11:19:43 MDT 2010

> This is truly a bad idea. That XP share should be
> mounted by the workstations just like the server
> shares. Move the data to the server, or use the XP box
> as a server to directly serve those who need the data
> on it.
>
> Cheers,
>
> TMS III

Why is this a bad idea? We've been running this setup
for a few years now and its been working fine until we
upgraded. The XP box only allows 10 user limit for
shares, so that's why we mounted it to the Ubuntu
server and shared it with Samba instead of having to
pay for Windows Server license.

The problem with simply moving the files over to the
Ubuntu server is that the files on the XP box are
stored on a RAID array that comes with a controller
card whose driver is really only designed to be run on
Windows, not Linux.

I'd have to setup mdadm on Ubuntu, which I've done
before and was not impressed. The Windows RAID system
we have is much more easier to maintain.

I don't want to get off topic here, I just want to
know why Samba is giving me trouble browsing these
mounted directories.