[Samba] Risks of NT4 -> Samba Migration

Nick Couchman Nick.Couchman at seakr.com
Sun Jul 4 21:55:06 MDT 2010

I have a Windows NT4 domain that I'm considering migrating to Samba.  It has three domain controllers, all of which are WINS servers, about 350 computers and around 250 users.  It also has a trust relationship with an Active Directory domain.  I'd be migrating to three Samba servers backed by LDAP and only one of them running WINS.  I'm using the net rpc vampire method described in the Samba Guide.  My concerns are the following:
- Make sure trust relationship carries over without problems.
- Machine accounts - I don't want to have to rejoin all the computers to the domain.
- Single WINS Server

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this - configurations similar to this, etc. - and what problems you ran into, how you solved them, etc.  My main concern is that it's a hard cutover - I can't have both the NT4 and Samba systems running in live mode concurrently, so I have to shut down the old and hope the new works correctly.  I'm also concerned about a single WINS server being sufficient.

Thanks for any input!
-Nick

--------
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or you are not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient, please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR) Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are strictly prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and delete the message from your mailbox.  Information contained in this message that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor attributable to SEAKR.