[Samba] pam_smbpass.so passdb.tdb support

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Sat Jul 3 08:25:41 MDT 2010

On 07/03/2010 08:50 AM, Kandukuru_Suresh at emc.com wrote:
> Dear JHT,
>   Thanks for the quick reply.in
> http://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-3.4.0.html .
> Samba team is recommending to use tdbsam.

Not just recommending - it is the default now.  The smbpasswd file can
not contain the information needed to fully support current MS Windows
clients.  The result is the smbpasswd format storage of MS Windows
networking credentials has been obsoleted.

> just wanted to know one thing,
> from samba 3.4 default backend  has been changed to tdbsam , why for one
> of the module "pam_smbpass" in samba code is still looking for passwords
> in smbpasswd?.is there any patch for that?.

The pam_smbpasswd module has not been updated because noone has
contributed the necessary patches.  The tdbsam backend has been
available since September 2003, so my take on this is that VERY few
people use pam_smbpasswd.  If more were using it, someone might by now
have done something about the lack of support for tsbsam (and ldapsam
for that matter) in the pam_smbpasswd module.

> will this be removed in higher versions of samba than > 3.4?

Probably. Why don't you file a bug report on https://bugzilla.samba.org
? - that is the only way you might get action on this.

> I find several people asking the question on net.did not find any
> answer.anticipating your reply.

Sorry to disappoint you.

cheers,
John T.