[Samba] Default Hidden Disk Shares

Robert LeBlanc robert at leblancnet.us
Fri Jul 2 12:15:26 MDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 2:05 AM, Atkinson, Robert <RATKINSON at tbs-ltd.co.uk>wrote:

> Interesting to see you say it's dangerous. The way the Windows version
> works
> is that you have to be part of the Administrator group to be able to see
> them, which I would have thought secure enough?

This is not true, the share is advertised to anyone who asks. The Windows
client only hides shares that end with a '$'. By default Windows gives
access only to administrators (by default), but they are by no means hidden.

Robert LeBlanc
Life Sciences & Undergraduate Education Computer Support
Brigham Young University