[Samba] Problem with Windows XP: Cannot join Samba PDC

Willy Offermans Willy at Offermans.Rompen.nl
Thu Jul 1 06:20:05 MDT 2010

Hello Samba friends,

Did you check or disable possible firewalls in between the network
traffic? This is usually causing this error in my case.

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 01:56:46PM +0700, Hung Nguyen Van wrote:
> I double checked and it's exactly what I do, it seems server netbios
> name is not available in world of Windows client.
> It's so weird with me.
>  On Thu, 17 Jun 2010
> 13:45:48 -0400 Gaiseric Vandal <gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > For an "NT4/Samba" domain, DNS is not relevant.   The XP client will
> > locate the PDC via netbios.  WINS is not essential but definately
> > helps. On the XP machine, type "ipconfig /all" and make sure that
> > your XP machine is configured for the WINS server.
> >
> > Also, make sure  on your XP TCP/IP settings that you have NOT
> > disabled netbios-over-tcp/ip (NBT.)
> >

> > On 06/17/2010 10:22 AM, Hung Nguyen wrote:
> > > I have tried several times to get Windows XP client join SAMBA PDC
> > > domain, but no luck.
> > > I follow some nice guide from Ubuntu Forum and samba Document, my
> > > Samba PDC working with OpenLDAP.
> > > When I type join XP to domain I get :
> > > http://osvn.pastebin.com/QUpVVq5q
> > > <http://osvn.pastebin.com/QUpVVq5q>
> > >
> > > DOMAIN is name of workgroup = DOMAIN in my samba group, it seems
> > > like XP client cannot find where is DOMAIN.
> > > I'm pretty sure that my DNS is working properly, XP can resolve
> > > dc.DOMAIN.local to its IP address and use my dns server to connect
> > > to internet without problem.
> > > Linux Clients can join domain without problem.
> > >
> > > Does someone face this problem before, please help.
> > > I also enable WinS server on Samba configuration.
> > > Actually, I dont understand why I need a local DNS here, because
> > > when we join Samba Domain, we just type in Domain form NetBios name
> > > of server, not full domain name. If you can explain, please give me
> > > an answer too.
> > > Thank you very much for your help, 2 days working on it did not
> > > help me too much.
> > >

> > > Regards,
> >

> --
> --
> Nguyen Van Hung
> System Administrator
>

> SYNAPSYS Co., Ltd
> 1st Floor, 49 Bui Dinh Tuy St, Binh Thanh Dist, HCMC, Vietnam
> Tel: ( +84-8 ) 66 599 379
> Cell : ( +84 ) 0976 30 22 32
> Email: vhnguyen at synapsys-vn.com
> Website: http://www.synapsys-vn.com
> --

Met vriendelijke groeten,
With kind regards,
Mit freundlichen Gruessen,
De jrus wah,

Willy

*************************************
Dr. W.K. Offermans
CAT Postdoctoral Fellow
CAT Catalytic Center
Institut für Technische und Makromolekulare Chemie
RWTH Aachen
Worringerweg 1, Raum 38C-150
D-52074 Aachen, Germany
Phone:  +49 241 80 28592
Fax:    +49 241 80 22593
Home:   +31 45 544 49 44
Mobile: +31 681 15 87 68
e-mail: Willy at Offermans.Rompen.nl
e-mail: Willy.Offermans at CatalyticCenter.RWTH-Aachen.de