[Samba] Renaming a computer on a Samba domain

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 18:12:15 MST 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 7:35 PM, Jason Somers
<jason at redbarncomputers.com> wrote:
> I guess I am just missing the point here. I am not in the position to change
> policy. I must work with what I have inside of standard operating
> procedures.
>
> Why is it such a big deal to change the computer name while connected to the
> domain? This seems like such a simple thing (that you can do on ALL Windows
> domains), and yet it does not seem like it can be done on Samba...

I am sorry. I misread your first post. I believe what I have done was

1. create a new machine account in ldap (this is needed because I have
nscd running)
2. Move the machine out of the domain to workgroup  in windows. Do not
reboot even though it asks.
3. Rename the machine in windows. In this step you may have to reboot.
4. Readd the machine to the domain.

John