[Samba] samba cannot find cups printcap

John Frankish j-frankish at slb.com
Sat Feb 27 04:50:59 MST 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: John Frankish
Sent: Saturday, 20 February, 2010 13:46
To: 'samba at lists.samba.org'
Subject: samba cannot find cups printcap

Hi,

I just upgraded from cups-1.3.8/samba-3.4.1 to cups-1.4.1/samba-3.4.3

After upgrading, the samba log showed that it could not find the printcap file - previously cups was not generating a printcap file, but things worked fine. I changed cupsd.conf to produce a printcap file, but the samba log shows it cannot find it, even though I placed it in /etc, /etc/cups, /usr/local/etc, /usr/local/etc/cups. Where does samba look by default?

If I change "printcap name = cups" to "printcap name = /usr/local/etc/cups/printcap", then the windows machines can print, but at the end of each print job, two extra pages are printed:

Additional page 1 - blank
Additional page 2
ERROR: rangecheck
OFFENDING COMMAND: .installpagedevice
STACK:
-null-
-dictionary-
-savelevel-

I'm assuming this happens because samba does not realize the printcap file is in cups format, is there a way around this problem?
----------
After checking, I realized that samba had not linked against libcups and recompiled - this solved the printcap issue with:

        printing = cups
        printcap = cups

smb.conf
--------
[global]
        workgroup = WORKGROUP
        netbios name = DSLKAYAK
        hosts allow = 192.168.1.*
        security = share
        client ntlmv2 auth = no
        load printers = yes
        printing = cups
        printcap name = cups [later set to printcap name = /usr/local/etc/cups/printcap]
[share]
        path = /mnt/sdb4/dslshare
        read only = no
        browseable = yes