[Samba] Can't install printer driver automatically for some printers

Emiliano Ticci emiticci at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 09:28:58 MST 2010

Hi all,

I've published some printers through samba and cups, and also published
drivers to print$ using cupsaddsmb. I'm in an Active Directory environment
(DC are Windows 2003).

All seems to work with no errors, however Point'n'Print works only for some
printers. For two printers I receive instead the message "The server for the
XXX printer does not have the correct printer driver installed".

The output for of the command "rpcclient localhost -c 'getdriver XXX'"

is IDENTICAL for all printers (except for the name of the .ppd file,
obviously).

I appreciate any suggestion in order to solve the problem. My smb.conf is:

#======================= Global Settings =======================

[global]

   netbios name = PIRIPICCHIO
   #wins support = yes

   realm = SEDE.SHSGROUP
   workgroup = SEDE
   dns proxy = no

   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   #log level = 3
   max log size = 1000
   syslog = 0

   security = ads
   encrypt passwords = true
   passdb backend = tdbsam
   obey pam restrictions = yes
   unix password sync = yes
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:*
%n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
   pam password change = yes
   map to guest = bad user
   username map = /etc/samba/smbusers

   idmap uid = 10000-20000
   idmap gid = 10000-20000
   template shell = /bin/bash
   template homedir = /home/%D/%U
   winbind enum groups = yes
   winbind enum users = yes
   winbind use default domain = yes

   usershare path = /usr/share/samba/usershares
   usershare allow guests = yes

   printing = cups
   printcap name = cups

#======================= Share Definitions =======================

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   browseable = no
   path = /var/spool/samba
   printable = yes
   guest ok = no
   read only = yes
   create mask = 0700

[print$]
   comment = Printer Drivers
   path = /var/lib/samba/printers
   browseable = yes
   read only = no
   guest ok = no

[Desktops]
   comment = Desktop Icons
   path = /usr/share/samba/shares/desktops
   read only = yes
   browseable = yes
   guest ok = yes

[icone$]
   comment = Opera Icon
   path = /usr/share/samba/shares/icons
   read only = yes
   browseable = no
   guest ok = yes

 [Scripts]
   comment = Various Scripts
   path = /usr/share/samba/shares/scripts
   read only = yes
   browseable = yes
   guest ok = yes

 [XenAppHosted]
   comment = Deployed Software
   path = /usr/share/samba/shares/xenapphosted
   read only = yes
   browseable = yes
   guest ok = yes

Thank you so much.