[Samba] access times samba server via UNC access from XP

Arthur Odekerken odekerken at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 12:59:07 MST 2010

Hi,

I am experiencing performance issues when using samba as an application
server for starting exe files from my Windows XP machine.
I have a shortcut on my desktop that links to an executable via UNC path.
Startin the link takes up to 15 seconds, the second time it's a lot faster.
After starting the application and I wait for some time it seems like my
session needs to reconnect or something, because I get very slow responses.
Authentication is done against OpenLDAP.
Samba version is 3.0.33-3.15.el5_4.1 on CentOS 5.4 32 bit.
Samba config looks like:

[global]
        load printers = No
        netbios name = SAMBA
        server string = Samba
        ldap suffix = dc=mydomain,dc=com
        workgroup = MYDOMAIN.COM
        os level = 20
        ldap admin dn = cn=root,ou=users,dc=mydomain,dc=com
        printcap name = /etc/printcap
        passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://10.10.0.4
        veto oplock files = /*.mdb/*.pst/*.dbf/*.MDB/*.DBF/*.PST/

[APPS]
        comment = Applications
        path = /shares/APPS
        valid users = @apps, @Admins