[Samba] Change samba username with tdbsam backend

Johan Meiring jmeiring at pcservices.co.za
Sun Feb 21 23:42:45 MST 2010

John H Terpstra wrote:

> 1) If the "passdb backend = smbpasswd", it is necessary to change:
>
> 	a) The user login name in the smbpasswd file
> 	b) The user login name and GECOS information in /etc/passwd and in
> /etc/shadow, and all group membership information in /etc/groups
> 	c) The name of the user's home directory
> 	d) The name of the user's desktop profile directory on all MS Windows
> machine the user makes use of.

I've done many username changes as follows.
a)      Using a text editor.
b) & c) Using the "usermod" command, it does quite well in
         changing everything neccesary.
d)      Is not neccesary.  The Folder name will still be the old username.
         I've found that trying to change the folder name is more problmatic

         as you need to do a bunch of registry changes as well.

> 2) If the "passdb backend = tdbsam", it is necessary to change:
> 	a) The users' name in the passdb.tdb file
> 	b) The users' login name and GECOS information in /etc/passwd and in
> /etc/shadow, and all group membership information in /etc/groups
> 	c) The name of the user's home directory
> 	d) The name of the user's desktop profile directory on all MS Windows
> machine the user makes use of.

Essentially the same process as above, except there is no easy way to do a).
Maybe there should be?

--

Johan Meiring
Cape PC Services CC