[Samba] AD 2008 R2 vs. samba 3.4.5

christoph.beyer at desy.de christoph.beyer at desy.de
Thu Feb 18 11:53:00 MST 2010

Hi there,

I almot exlusively use samba for printing in a semi large scale (>2.000
windows hosts & >500 printers). I have been running 3.0.20 for a long time
and was quite happy with it.

Unfortunately my windows fellows have now updated to AD 2008 R2 and I
experienced some immediate problems with encryptions types so I updated to
3.4.5 which is not really working for me.

I see a lot of connection rests and also the load is significantly higher
than before, looks a bit like a denial of service attack ;) Also the
shares don't show up constantly in the domain but disappear from time to
time.

My clients are 32bit windowsxp domain members and to make things a bit
more complicated they received a MS security update at the same time which
mainly concerns SMB (MS10-06 SMB Update).

Are there any advices or experiences, I'm really in need ? :(

cheers
 	~christoph

PS: Of couse I am also waiting for a samba based solution for windows 7 64
bit printing ;)

--
/*   Christoph Beyer     |   Office: Building 2b / 23     *\
  *   DESY                |    Phone: 040-8998-2317        *