[Samba] Change samba username with tdbsam backend

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Feb 19 22:41:34 MST 2010

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 08:33:36PM -0600, John H Terpstra wrote:

> There exists no simple, portable tool that can affect the type of change
> you are seeking.  At the best of times, this is a a complex
> administrative task that requires knowledge of the consequences of each
> step taken.  A failure to apprehend such consequences will lead ot
> interesting observations and results.

The correct way to do this is for winbindd to be able
to fully specify UNIX accounts internally (ie. inside
it's own equivalent of /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, and
tdbsam). We used to have this capability in winbindd
but it got removed a long time ago (around the early
Samba 3.0.x timeframe I recall) as no one made use of
it.

I've been thinking of resurecting this again at some
point.

If winbindd is the full controller of local account
info then normal RPC tools can change an account name
by simply changing the stored "name" property in the
database.

I'll start thinking about adding this back into winbindd
as a "winbindd local accounts" option. Probably would
do it differently from the earlier implementation now
though :-).

Jeremy.