[Samba] Change samba username with tdbsam backend

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Fri Feb 19 19:33:36 MST 2010

On 02/19/2010 06:52 PM, Eden Caldas wrote:
> How do you do this? This thing is a binary file. And I see no command
> lines for it.
>
> ex; I have an username named Miranda and I want to change to Liara.

OK, this is a question that has been asked many times on this list. A
complete solution depends on the Samba password backend being used, and
on how far you want to go in terms of consistency of change.

For example:

1) If the "passdb backend = smbpasswd", it is necessary to change:

	a) The user login name in the smbpasswd file
	b) The user login name and GECOS information in /etc/passwd and in
/etc/shadow, and all group membership information in /etc/groups
	c) The name of the user's home directory
	d) The name of the user's desktop profile directory on all MS Windows
machine the user makes use of.

2) If the "passdb backend = tdbsam", it is necessary to change:
	a) The users' name in the passdb.tdb file
	b) The users' login name and GECOS information in /etc/passwd and in
/etc/shadow, and all group membership information in /etc/groups
	c) The name of the user's home directory
	d) The name of the user's desktop profile directory on all MS Windows
machine the user makes use of.

3) If the "passdb backend = ldapsam", it is necessary to change:
	a) The users' identity information in a consistent manner in his/her
account record and in all group memberships
	b) The name of the user's home directory
	c) The name of the user's desktop profile directory on all MS Windows
machine the user makes use of.

The problem is that if the account information is deleted (can be done)
it must be restored with the same UID and GID, and with full
preservation of the users' fully qualified SID.  If this does not
happen, his/her profile will not longer work correctly and user
applications will be broken in the MS Windows environment.

There exists no simple, portable tool that can affect the type of change
you are seeking.  At the best of times, this is a a complex
administrative task that requires knowledge of the consequences of each
step taken.  A failure to apprehend such consequences will lead ot
interesting observations and results.

- John T.