[Samba] How do I mount a share on my Debian server ?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Feb 19 08:31:53 MST 2010

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 01:26:28PM +0100, Gungne Gungneson wrote:
> This worked :-)
>
> First i made a new folder inside /mnt
>
> /mnt/Share_name
>
> then:
>
> myserver:~# mount -t cifs //10.23.150.100/Share /mnt/Share_name -v -o
> user=my-username,pass=my-password,domain=CORPNET
>
> mount.cifs kernel mount options: unc=//10.23.150.100
> \Share,ip=10.23.150.100,ver=1,rw,user=my-username,domain=CORPNET,pass=********
> myserver:~#
>
> On the server I now can view the files. But how do I
> mount this share permanently, and how do I make the
> folder accessible for users on the local server?

Remember CIFS is a per user mount.  It isn't like NFS where multiple
users can use a single mount.  Every user will have access as
'my-username' and do everything as that user.  CIFS was after all designed
by Microsoft who doesn't believe multiple users can (or should be allowed
to) use one machine at the same time.

You can allow that if that is really what you want by changing the
file_mode and dir_mode options.

--
Len Sorensen