[Samba] Samba 3.2.5 / Debian Lenny var full

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Fri Feb 19 00:42:00 MST 2010

On 02/18/2010 05:14 AM, Didier Roques wrote:
> Hi
>  i've got a server with lenny installed on it with samba 3.2.5.
>
> My problem is that the var partition is sometimes full. In fact, if i use
> df command I watch the partition full, but if I use du command the
> partition is not full.
> If i use lsof command i see plenty of log samba files into /var/log/samba
> wich are very big, i have
> - to kill the process given by lsof  associated to log samba file (smbd
> process)
> - to restart samba
> to see the partition not full.
>
> Is there a bug with this official version of samba with lenny ? or have
> you got a solution for me.

I have seen this problem with samba-3.2.3 at a large site.  It would
strike once every two months or so, when it happened an 80GB
/var/log/samba partition would fill up in 1 or 2 minutes.  We never got
to the bottom of this, the problem has not reappeared since the site
moved to samba-3.3.4.

My advice is to update to 3.4.5 or later.

- John T.